Texas A&M University O&M Building
Room 616 MS 3146
College Station, Texas 77843
Ph.D., Oceanography, Texas A&M University, 1993
MS., Oceanography, Texas A&M University, 1990
Licentiate, Oceanography, Buenos Aires Technological Institute, Argentina, 1985
- Physical Oceanography, Global Thermohaline Circulation, Ocean Climate Variability
- Currents and water mass structure of the Southern Ocean
- Role of polar regions in Climate Change
- Ventilation, Convection, Subduction
- Analysis of oceanic tracer data and direct current measurements
- Management hydrographic atlas and database of the Southern Ocean
- Orsi, A. H., 2010: Recycling Bottom Waters. Nature Geoscience, 3, 307-309, (doi:10.1038/ ngeo854).
- Orsi, A. H., and C. L. Wiederwohl, 2009: A recount of Ross Sea waters. Deep-Sea Res. II, 56, 778-795, (doi:10.1016/ j.dsr2.2008.10.033).
- Gordon, A. L., A. H. Orsi, R. Muench, B. Huber, E. Zambianchi, and M. Visbeck, 2009: Western Ross Sea continental slope gravity currents. Deep-Sea Research II, 56, 796-817, (doi:10.1016/j.dsr2.2008.10.037).
- Padman, L., S. Howard, A.H. Orsi, and R. D. Muench, 2008: Tides of the northwestern Ross Sea and their impact on dense outflows of Antarctic Bottom Water. Deep-Sea Res. II, 56, 818-834, (doi:10.1016/j.dsr2.2008.10.026).
- Muench, R.D., L. Padman, A.L. Gordon, and A.H. Orsi, 2009: A dense water outflow from the Ross Sea, Antarctica: Mixing and the contribution of tides. Journal of Marine Systems, 77 (4), 369-387.
- Whitworth T., III, and A.H. Orsi, 2006: Antarctic Bottom Water production and export by tides in the Ross Sea, Geophys. Res. Lett., 33, 2006GL026357R.
- Orsi, A.H., and T. Whitworth III, 2005: Hydrographic Atlas of the World Ocean Circulation Experiment (WOCE). Volume 1: Southern Ocean (eds. M. Sparrow, P. Chapman and J. Gould), International WOCE Project Office, Southampton, U.K., ISBN 0-904175-49-9.
- Gordon, A. L., A. Zambianchi, A. H. Orsi, M. Visbeck, C. Giulivi, T. Whitworth III, G. Spezie, 2004: Energetic Plumes over the Western Ross Sea Continental Slope, Geophys. Res. Lett., 31, L21302 (doi:10.1029/2004GL020785).
- Orsi, A. H., W. M. Smethie, Jr., and J. L. Bullister, 2002: On the Total Input of Antarctic Waters to the Deep Ocean: a preliminary estimate from Chlorofluorocarbon measurements, J. Geophys. Res., (DOI10.1029/2001JC000976).
- Orsi, A. H., S. S. Jacobs, A. L. Gordon and M. Visbeck, 2001: Cooling and ventilating the Abyssal Ocean, Geophys. Res. Lett., 28 (15), 2923-2926.
- S. R. Rintoul, J. Church, E. Fahrbach, M. Garcia, A. Gordon, B. King, R. Morrow, A. H. Orsi, and K. Speer, 2001: Monitoring and Understanding Southern Ocean Variability and its Impact on Climate: A Strategy for Sustained Observations, Observing the Oceans in the 21st Century, C.J. Koblinsky and N.R. Smith (Eds), GODAE Project Office and Bureau of Meteorology, Melbourne.
- Orsi, A. H., G. C. Johnson and J. L. Bullister, 1999: Circulation, mixing, and production of Antarctic Bottom Water, Prog. Oceanogr., 43, 55-109.
- Whitworth III, T., A. H. Orsi, S.-J. Kim, W. D. Nowlin, Jr. and R. A. Locarnini, 1998: Water masses and mixing near the Antarctic Circumpolar Front, in, Ocean, Ice, and Atmosphere: Interactions at the Antarctic Continental Margin, S. S. Jacobs and R. F. Weiss, editors, Antarctic Research Series 75, American Geophysical Union, Washington, D. C.
- Johnson, G. C. and A. H. Orsi, 1997: Southwest Pacific Thermohaline Changes Between 1968/9 and 1990/1, Journal of Climate, 10, 306-316.
- Orsi, A. H., T. Whitworth III and W. D. Nowlin, Jr., 1995: On the meridional extent and fronts of the Antarctic Circumpolar Current, Deep-Sea Res. I, 42, 641-673.
- Whitworth, T., III, W. D. Nowlin, Jr., A. H. Orsi, R. A. Locarnini and S. G. Smith, 1994: Weddell Sea shelf water in the Bransfield Strait and Weddell Scotia Confluence, Deep-Sea Res. I, 41, 629-641.
- Orsi, A. H., W. D. Nowlin Jr. and T. Whitworth III, 1993: On the circulation and stratification of the Weddell Gyre, Deep-Sea Res. I, 40, 169-203.
- Between 1998 and 2003 Dr. Orsi worked on the creation of the online hydrographic World Ocean Ciculation Experiment (WOCE) Southern Ocean Atlas, on the production of a new hydrographic database and climatology of the Southern Ocean, and on the publication of Volume 1: The Southern Ocean of the printed series of WOCE atlases.
- Since 2003 Orsi has been involved in the field and analysis phases ofAnSlope: Cross-slope Exchanges at the Antarctic Slope Front, a collaborative field program in the Ross Sea, Antarctica, that studies the physical processes governing the exchange of waters between the oceanic and shelf regimes.
- Orsi is the current Co-Chair of the International Antarctic Zone Program (iAnZone), a SCOR/SCAR affiliated program coordinating the implementation of the Synoptic Antarctic Shelf-Slope Interactions Study (SASSI), an International Polar Year (IPY, 2007-2008) cluster program in the Southern Ocean. He serves as ex-officio member of theCLIVAR/CliC/SCAR Southern Ocean Region Implementation Panel
- In 2006 Orsi joined the new SCOR/IAPSO Working Group 129 on Deep Ocean Exchanges with the Shelf (DOES).
- Professor, Oceanography, Texas A&M University, 2013-present
- Associate Professor, Oceanography, Texas A&M University, 2005-present
- Research Scientist, Oceanography, Texas A&M University, 2002-2005
- Associate Research Scientist, Oceanography, Texas A&M University, 1998-2002
- Assistant Research Scientist, Oceanography, Texas A&M University, 1997-1998
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, JISAO, University of Washington, 1994-1996
- Graduate Research Assistant, Oceanography, Texas A&M University, 1987-1993
- Oceanographer, Argentine Antarctic Institute, Buenos Aires, Argentina, 1985-1987