Room 627A MS 3146
College Station, Texas 77843
Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering, University of Washington
M.Sc. Applied Mathematics, University of Washington
B.A. Physics, Whitman College
Kristen M. Thyng
Assistant Research Professor
- Roc, T., K. M. Thyng and D. Conley, "Applying a numerical decision-making tool for tidal current turbine (TCT) planning projects to the Puget Sound estuary - Early Results", Proc. EWTEC, 2011.
- Thyng, K. M. and J. J. Riley (2010). Idealized Headland Simulation for Tidal Hydrokinetic Turbine Siting Metrics. OCEANS 2010 MTS/IEEE Conference, Seattle, WA, USA.
- Kawase, M., and K. M. Thyng. "Three-dimensional Hydrodynamic Modelling of Inland Marine Waters of Washington State, United States, for Tidal Resource and Environmental Impact Assessment." IET Renewable Power Generation. 4.6 (2010): 568-578.
Conference and Seminar Presentations
Turbulence Modeling in a Numerical Model for Tidal Hydrokinetic Energy Siting, Texas A&M University, October 13, 2011.
Site Modeling for Tidal Turbines, 2nd Annual OSU-UW Northwest National Marine Renewable Energy Center Conference, University of Washington, May 5, 2011.
Understanding New Admiralty Inlet Simulation, MoSSea Users Group, School of Oceanography, University of Washington, May 4, 2011.
Modeling for Tidal Energy Analysis, MoSSea Users Group, School of Oceanography, University of Washington, January 19, 2011.
Tidal Energy and Turbine Siting Metrics, Mechanical Engineering Student Seminar, University of Washington, October 11, 2010.
Idealized Headland Simulation for Tidal Hydrokinetic Turbine Siting Metrics, OCEANS 2010 MTS/IEEE Seattle, September 21, 2010.
Working Toward Numerical Simulations of Admiralty Inlet for Tidal Hydrokinetic Energy. 4th Annual INORE Symposium, Dartmouth, UK, May 12, 2010.
Tidal Energy in the Puget Sound, SIAM UW, April 21, 2009.
Tidal Energy in the Puget Sound, SIAM UW, May 29, 2008.
Nested ROMS Model of a Complex Estuarine Channel, Puget Sound, WA. Gordon Research Conference: Coastal Ocean Modeling, Mt. Holyoke College, South Hadley, MA, June 26–July 1, 2011.
Site Modeling for Tidal Turbines. Graduate and Professional Student Senate Science and Policy Summit, University of Washington, May 13, 2011.
Numerical Modeling for Tidal Hydrokinetic Turbine Siting. 4th Annual INORE Symposium, Dartmouth, UK, May 9, 2010.
Estuary Modeling for Tidal Energy in Puget Sound, WA. 3rd Annual INORE Symposium, Gent, Belgium, May 26, 2009.
- Member, Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, 2008–Present.
- Member, American Geophysical Union, 2010–Present.
- Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, 2010–Present.