O&M Building, Room 1205B
The Water Program
213 Teague Hall
College Station, Texas 77843
Ph.D., Physics, University of Wisconsin, 1966
B.S., 1960, Physics, The University of Tennessee
Gerald R. North
University Distinguished Professor of Atmospheric Sciences and Oceanography
- Modern and Paleo-Climate Analysis
- Satellite Remote Sensing, Mission Planning
- Climate and Hydrology Modeling
- Statistical Methods in Atmospheric Science
- North, G. R., F. J. Moeng, T. J. Bell and R. F. Cahalan, 1982: Sampling Errors in the Estimation of Empirical Orthogonal Functions. Mon. Wea. Rev., 110, 699-706.
- Simpson, J., R. F. Adler and G. R. North, 1988: Proposed Tropical Rainfall Measuring Mission (TRMM) Satellite. Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc., 69, 278-295.
- North, G. R., R. F. Cahalan and J. A. Coakley, 1981: Energy-Balance Climate Models. Rev. Geophys. Sp. Phys.,19, 91-121.
- North, G. R., 1975: Theory of Energy-Balance Climate Models. J. Atmos. Sci., 32, 2,033-2,043.
- Short, D. A., J. G. Mengel, T. J. Crowley, W. T. Hyde and G. R. North, 1991: Filtering of Milankovitch Cycles by Earth’s Geography. Quaternary Res., 35, 157-173.
- North, G. R., J. G. Mengel and D. A. Short, 1983: A Simple Energy Balance Model Resolving the Seasons and the Continents: Application to the Astronomical Theory of the Ice Ages. J. Geophys. Res., 88, 6,576-6,586.
- North, G. R., 1975: Analytical Solution to a Simple Climate Model With Diffusive Heat Transport. J. Atmos. Sci., 32,1,301-1,307.
- Bell, T. L., A. Abdullah, R. L. Martin and G. R. North, 1990: Sampling Errors for Satellite-Derived Tropical Rainfall: Monte Carlo Study Using a Space-Time Stochastic Model. J. Geophys. Res., 95, 2,195-2,206.
- Kedem, B., L. S. Chiu and G. R. North, 1990: Estimation of Mean Rain Rate: Application to Satellite Observations. J. Geophys. Res., 95, 1,965-1,972.
- North, G. R. and J. A. Coakley, 1979: Differences Between Seasonal and Mean Annual Energy Balance Model Calculations of Climate and Climate Change. J. Atmos. Sci., 36, 1,189-1,204.
- Crowley, T. J., D. A. Short, J. G. Mengel and G. R. North, 1986: Role of Seasonality in the Evolution of Climate During the Last 100 Million Years. Science, 231, 579-584.
Full list of publications in PDF for can be found here
- Holder of the Harold J. Haynes Endowed Chair in Geosciences, 2003-2008
- Head, Department of Atmospheric Sciences, Texas A&M University. September 1995-2003.
- Visiting Scientist. University of Reading. Reading, UK. June-July 1994.
- Director of Climate System Research Program, Texas A&M University. September 1986 – 1999.
- Distinguished Professor of Meteorology and of Oceanography, Texas A&M University. September 1986 – present.
- Adjunct Professor of Geography, Texas A&M University. March 1990-present.
- Senior Consulting Scientist, Applied Research Corporation. Landover, MD. 1986-1993.
- Senior Consulting Scientist, Applied Res. Corp. Technologies. College Station, TX. 1987-93.
- Physical Scientist, AST (GS-15), Climate/Radiation Branch, NASA/GSFC. Greenbelt, MD. l978-86.
- Lecturer/Adjunct Prof., Department of Meteorology. University of Maryland. College Park, MD. 1980-86.
- Professor, Department of Physics. University of Missouri. St. Louis, MO. 1977-80.
- Visiting Professor, Columbia University, Summer Lecture Program. NASA/Goddard Institute for Space Studies. New York, NY. July, 1979.
- Associate Professor, Department of Physics. University of Missouri. St. Louis, MO. 1972-77.
- Visiting Scientist, Main Geophysical Observatory. Leningrad, USSR. May-July 1977.
- Guest Investigator, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution. Woods Hole, MA. Summer 1976.
- Senior Fellow, National Center for Atmospheric Research. Boulder, CO. 1974-75.
- Assistant Professor, Department of Physics, University of Missouri. St. Louis, MO. 1968-72.
- Research Associate, Department of Physics. University of Pennsylvania, PA. 1966-68.
- Technician/Programmer, Oak Ridge National Laboratory. Oak Ridge, TN. Sept. 1957-Aug. 1961.