Texas A&M University
O&M Building, Room 616
College Station, Texas 77843
- OCNG 251 - Introduction to Ocean Studies
- OCNG 608 - Physical Oceanography
- OCNG 611 - Global Scale Oceanography
- GEOS 489/689 - Special Topics in the International Polar Year
- OCNG 685 - Directed Studies: Changes in the Global Thermohaline Circulation
- OCNG 410 - Introduction to Physical Oceanography
Dr. Alejandro Orsi
Professor, Physical Section
Ph.D., Oceanography, Texas A&M University, 1993
MS., Oceanography, Texas A&M University, 1990
Licentiate, Oceanography, Buenos Aires Technological Institute, Argentina, 1985
Dr. Orsi is a sea-going, observational physical oceanographer who studies the ocean's stratification, circulation and mixing processes at regional to global scales, to better understand their influence on Earth's climate. His research interests relate to the exchange of mass, heat, freshwater and gasses among the ocean, atmosphere and ice in the polar regions, with emphasis on the ventilation of the deep and intermediate layers of the ocean interior. Dr. Orsi also studies ocean climate variability through comparison of historical observations and data projections from numerical models.
- Physical Oceanography, Global Thermohaline Circulation, Ocean Climate Variability
- Currents and water mass structure of the Southern Ocean
- Role of polar regions in Climate Change
- Ventilation, Convection, Subduction
- Analysis of oceanic tracer data and direct current measurements
- Management hydrographic atlas and database of the Southern Ocean
- Between 1998 and 2003 Dr. Orsi worked on the creation of the online hydrographic World Ocean Ciculation Experiment (WOCE) Southern Ocean Atlas, on the production of a new hydrographic database and climatology of the Southern Ocean, and on the publication of Volume 1: The Southern Ocean of the printed series of WOCE atlases.
- Since 2003 Orsi has been involved in the field and analysis phases of AnSlope: Cross-slope Exchanges at the Antarctic Slope Front, a collaborative field program in the Ross Sea, Antarctica, that studies the physical processes governing the exchange of waters between the oceanic and shelf regimes.
- Orsi is the current Co-Chair of the International Antarctic Zone Program (iAnZone), a SCOR/SCAR affiliated program coordinating the implementation of the Synoptic Antarctic Shelf-Slope Interactions Study (SASSI), an International Polar Year (IPY, 2007-2008) cluster program in the Southern Ocean. He serves as ex-officio member of the CLIVAR/CliC/SCAR Southern Ocean Region Implementation Panel
- In 2006 Orsi joined the new SCOR/IAPSO Working Group 129 on Deep Ocean Exchanges with the Shelf (DOES).
- Associate Professor, Oceanography, Texas A&M University, 2005-present
- Research Scientist, Oceanography, Texas A&M University, 2002-2005
- Associate Research Scientist, Oceanography, Texas A&M University, 1998-2002
- Assistant Research Scientist, Oceanography, Texas A&M University, 1996-1998
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, JISAO, University of Washington, 1994-1996
- Oceanographer, Argentine Antarctic Institute, Buenos Aires, Argentina, 1985-1987
- Orsi, A. H., 2010: Recycling Bottom Waters. Nature Geoscience, 3, 307-309, (doi:10.1038/ ngeo854).
- Orsi, A. H., and C. L. Wiederwohl, 2009: A recount of Ross Sea waters. Deep-Sea Res. II, 56, 778-795, (doi:10.1016/ j.dsr2.2008.10.033).
- Gordon, A. L., A. H. Orsi, R. Muench, B. Huber, E. Zambianchi, and M. Visbeck, 2009: Western Ross Sea continental slope gravity currents. Deep-Sea Research II, 56, 796-817, (doi:10.1016/j.dsr2.2008.10.037).
- Padman, L., S. Howard, A.H. Orsi, and R. D. Muench, 2008: Tides of the northwestern Ross Sea and their impact on dense outflows of Antarctic Bottom Water. Deep-Sea Res. II, 56, 818-834, (doi:10.1016/j.dsr2.2008.10.026).
- Muench, R.D., L. Padman, A.L. Gordon, and A.H. Orsi, 2009: A dense water outflow from the Ross Sea, Antarctica: Mixing and the contribution of tides. Journal of Marine Systems, 77 (4), 369-387.
- Whitworth T., III, and A.H. Orsi, 2006: Antarctic Bottom Water production and export by tides in the Ross Sea, Geophys. Res. Lett., 33, 2006GL026357R.
- Orsi, A.H., and T. Whitworth III, 2005: Hydrographic Atlas of the World Ocean Circulation Experiment (WOCE). Volume 1: Southern Ocean (eds. M. Sparrow, P. Chapman and J. Gould), International WOCE Project Office, Southampton, U.K., ISBN 0-904175-49-9.
- Gordon, A. L., A. Zambianchi, A. H. Orsi, M. Visbeck, C. Giulivi, T. Whitworth III, G. Spezie, 2004: Energetic Plumes over the Western Ross Sea Continental Slope, Geophys. Res. Lett., 31, L21302 (doi:10.1029/2004GL020785).
- Orsi, A. H., W. M. Smethie, Jr., and J. L. Bullister, 2002: On the Total Input of Antarctic Waters to the Deep Ocean: a preliminary estimate from Chlorofluorocarbon measurements, J. Geophys. Res., (DOI10.1029/2001JC000976).
- Orsi, A. H., S. S. Jacobs, A. L. Gordon and M. Visbeck, 2001: Cooling and ventilating the Abyssal Ocean, Geophys. Res. Lett., 28 (15), 2923-2926.
- S. R. Rintoul, J. Church, E. Fahrbach, M. Garcia, A. Gordon, B. King, R. Morrow, A. H. Orsi, and K. Speer, 2001: Monitoring and Understanding Southern Ocean Variability and its Impact on Climate: A Strategy for Sustained Observations, Observing the Oceans in the 21st Century, C.J. Koblinsky and N.R. Smith (Eds), GODAE Project Office and Bureau of Meteorology, Melbourne.
- Orsi, A. H., G. C. Johnson and J. L. Bullister, 1999: Circulation, mixing, and production of Antarctic Bottom Water, Prog. Oceanogr., 43, 55-109.
- Whitworth III, T., A. H. Orsi, S.-J. Kim, W. D. Nowlin, Jr. and R. A. Locarnini, 1998: Water masses and mixing near the Antarctic Circumpolar Front, in, Ocean, Ice, and Atmosphere: Interactions at the Antarctic Continental Margin, S. S. Jacobs and R. F. Weiss, editors, Antarctic Research Series 75, American Geophysical Union, Washington, D. C.
- Johnson, G. C. and A. H. Orsi, 1997: Southwest Pacific Thermohaline Changes Between 1968/9 and 1990/1, Journal of Climate, 10, 306-316.
- Orsi, A. H., T. Whitworth III and W. D. Nowlin, Jr., 1995: On the meridional extent and fronts of the Antarctic Circumpolar Current, Deep-Sea Res. I, 42, 641-673.
- Whitworth, T., III, W. D. Nowlin, Jr., A. H. Orsi, R. A. Locarnini and S. G. Smith, 1994: Weddell Sea shelf water in the Bransfield Strait and Weddell Scotia Confluence, Deep-Sea Res. I, 41, 629-641.
- Orsi, A. H., W. D. Nowlin Jr. and T. Whitworth III, 1993: On the circulation and stratification of the Weddell Gyre, Deep-Sea Res. I, 40, 169-203.
Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) opportunities
Selected students will be actively involved in ongoing research projects in Physical Oceanography focused on processes in the Southern Ocean, such as water mass exchange across the Antarctic continental slope, deep water formation and circulation, and other polar climate related topics. Applicants familiar with standard data analysis techniques and programming are preferred.
The selected students must be citizens or permanent residents of the US. Members from under-represented minorities, women, and students from small colleges are encouraged to apply.
Limited support from NSF's Office of Polar Programs is available to cover the costs of travel to TAMU, stipend, room and board.
Students interested in this REU opportunity in the Department of Oceanography at Texas A&M University, should contact Dr. Alex Orsi (