Texas A&M University
College Station, Texas 77843
Dr. Bob Stewart
Professor Emeritus, Physical Section
Ph.D., Physical Oceanography, 1969, University of California, San Diego (Scripps Institution of Oceanography)
B.S., Physics with minor in Mathematics, 1963. Arlington State College (now University of Texas at Arlington)
- Production of oceanographic teaching materials for elementary, middle, and high school students and teachers (example: OceanWorld)
- Improvement of teaching of oceanography
- Large-scale, low-frequency variability of ocean currents
- Provides teaching materials for K-12 teachers and students explaining oceanic processes and the usefulness of satellite data for observing the ocean.
- Professor Emeritus, Oceanography, Texas A&M University, 2009-Present
- Professor, Oceanography, Texas A&M; University, 1989-2009
- Senior Research Scientist, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, 1983-1989
- Research Oceanographer and Adjunct Professor, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, 1983-1989
- Research Scientist, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, 1980-1983
- Member of Technical Staff, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, 1979-1980
- Associate Research Oceanographer and Associate Adjunct Professor, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, 1979-1983
- Associate Research Oceanogrpaher, Scripps Instiution of Oceanography, 1978-1979
- Assistant Research Oceanographer, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, 1969-1978
- Stewart, R.H. (2007) Our Ocean Planet: Oceanography in the 21st Century. On-line textbook in html format.
- Stewart, R.H. (2007) Environmental Science in the 21st Century. On-line textbook in html format.
- Stewart, R.H. (2007) Introduction to Physical Oceanography. On-line textbook: Html or PDF version.
- Stewart, R. (2004) The GODAE Project. Bulletin of the Australian Meteorological & Oceanographic Society: 17 (4): 85â€“88.
- Stewart, R.H. (2003) Ocean forecasts: Satellites, buoys, and computers. Current: The Journal of Marine Education 19(1): 19-23.
- Stewart, R.H. and Lundie Spence (2003) World Wide Web Sites. Current: The Journal of Marine Education 19(1): 29-31.
- Chambers, D.P., Tapley, B.D. and Stewart, R.H. (1999) Anomalous warming in the Indian Ocean coincident with El Nino. Journal of Geophysical Research 104 (C9): 3,035-3,047.
- Chambers, D.P., Tapley, B.D., and Stewart, R.H. (1998) Reduction of geoid gradient error in ocean variability from satellite altimetry. Marine Geodesy 21 (1): 25-39.
- Chambers, D.P., Tapley, B.D., and Stewart, R.H. (1998) Measuring heat storage changes in the equatorial Pacific: A comparison between topex altimetry and the Tropical Atmosphere-Ocean buoys. Journal of Geophysical Research 103 (C9): 18,591-18,597.