Texas A&M University
O&M Room 506
College Station, Texas 77843
M.S. Texas A&M University
B.S. Cornell University
Marine Mammal Work
- Marine Mammal Small-Boat Survey, Galápagos Islands; June 4-17; Lead and conducted marine mammal survey from small fishing boats between the Galápagos Islands; 9 days
- Marine Mammal Survey NOAA-NMFS GU-09-03, Gulf of Mexico, Gordon Gunter; June-August 2009; legs 1 and 3, visual observer and leg 2, acoustic observer; 50 days
- Ecuadorian Marine Mammal and Habitat Survey INOCAR CO-01-08; B.I. Orion, Oct. 7-30 2009; Conducted a visual survey for marine mammals between Ecuador and Galápagos Islands. 21 days
- Ecuadorian Marine Mammal and Habitat Survey INOCAR CO-01-08; B.I. Orion, April 2-April 22, 2009; Conducted a visual survey for marine mammals between Ecuador and Galápagos Islands; 20 days.
- Ecuadorian Marine Mammal and Habitat Survey INOCAR CO-01-08; B.I. Orion, Sept 23-Oct 10, 2008; Conducted a visual survey for marine mammals between Ecuador and Galápagos Islands; 15 days.
Work Experience/ Research Cruises
- Synoptic Antarctic Shelf Slope Interactions Study: Spanish Naval Vessel, Hespérides. Jan. 2- Jan 23 2008, 21 days: Research Assistant to Dr. Shari Yvon- Lewis: water sample collection and analysis of halogenated carbon samples with Gas Chromatograph-Mass Spectrometer.
- Methods Controlling Hypoxia: LUMCON Ship Pelican, Sept. 2007; April 2008, 4 days: CTD rosette deployment & recovery, plankton tows, water sampling.
- Gulf of Mexico East Coast Carbon Cruise: NOAA Ship Ronald H. Brown, July 2007, 26 days: Research Assistant to Dr. Shari Yvonn-Lewis, Completed regular hydrophone acoustic listening stations for cetaceans.
- Galapagos Cetacean Survey: Oceanographic Institute of the Ecuadorian Navy ship Rigel, May 2007: Acoustic cetacean survey using an over-the-side hydrophone and visual behavioral observations
- Western Boundary Current Time-Series: NOAA Ship Ronald H. Brown, March 2006 & 2007, 21 days & 19 days: Research Assistant to Dr. Shari Yvon-Lewis
- Merrimack Plume: R/V Lucky Lady, Merrimack River: May 2006 &2007, 3 & 5 days: Operation of a towed CTD and underway ADCP.
- Buoy K Recovery, Port Aransis, TX, June, 2008: 3 dives to remove an anchor line and attach a tow line to the buoy.
- Buoy H Dive: Port Aransis, TX, Oct. 2007, 1 day: Removal of fishnet from Buoy H so that the buoy and bottom package of instruments could be removed for repair.
- O'Hern, J. and Biggs, D.C. “Sperm Whale (Physeter macrocephalus) Habitat in the Northern Gulf of Mexico: Satellite Observed Ocean Color and Altimetry Applied to Small-Scale Variability in Distribution.” Aquatic Mammal Science, 2009
- Hu, L.,Yvon-Lewis,S.,Liu,Y.,Salisbury,J.,O'Hern,J. “Coastal emissions of methyl bromide and methyl chloride along the eastern Gulf of Mexico and the east coast of the U.S” Global Biogeochemical Cycles, Global Biogeochemical Cycles, 2010 (4th author).
- Pimentel, S., Cooperstein, S., Randell, H., Filiberto, D., Sorrentino, S, Kaye, B., Nicklin, C., Yagi, J., Brian, J., O'Hern, J., Habas, A., Weinstein, C. “Ecology of Increasing Diseases: Population Growth and Environmental Degradation” Human Ecology, 2007
- Published abstract. “Interannual Differences in Encounters with Sperm Whales in the Gulf of Mexico Summers 2004 and 2005” ASLO 2007 Aquatic Sciences Meeting; Oral presentation; Apex Predators and Trophic Relationships session
Skills and Activities
- AAUS Scientific Diver Certified; PADI SCUBA Advanced Open Water;
- Texas A&M Sailing Team 2008-2010
- Oceanography Vice Treasurer, mini-grant manager 2008-2009; 2009-2010
- Teaching Assistant, 2005-2006; 2007-2008; 2009-2010
- Experience with Unix, Matlab, GMT, Access Database, and Excel
- Proficiency in Spanish
- Texas A&M Storm Chasers; National Skywarn Storm Spotter