Texas A&M University
O&M Building, Room 306C
College Station, Texas 77843
- GEOS 101 - Introduction to the Geosciences
- OCNG 251 - Oceanography
Dr. Mary Jo Richardson
TAMU Regents Professor and Professor of Oceanography and Geology & Geophysics
Ph.D., Oceanography, Massachusetts Institute of Technology/Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, 1980
A.B., Geology/Mathematics, Smith College, 1975
Dr. Richardson is an interdisciplinary geoscientist working closely with colleagues in all subdisciplines of Oceanography as well as throughout the Geosciences. Her research focus is the dynamics and biogeochemistry of particle formation, sinking, resuspension, transport and deposition in the ocean from the continental shelf to the deep sea and from surface waters to the seafloor. She uses both satellite data and shipboard data to "sea-truth" the satellite measurements. She leads efforts to increase diversity in the geosciences and the undergraduate and graduate level. She thoroughly enjoys interactions with her undergraduate and graduate student advisees and her students in her classes.
Dr. Richardson has broad scientist expertise and is an ardent advocate for the Geosciences. Given her research expertise, broad knowledge, passion, enthusiasm, administrative experience, and energy she currently serves both Texas A&M and national agencies and organizations in the role of chair, co-chair, and/or elected member of boards, councils, committees, and networks.
- Increasing diversity in Geoscience disciplines and improving Geoscience education opportunities through enhanced undergraduate and graduate experiences and secondary school teacher training.
- Dynamics and biogeochemistry of particle formation, sinking, resuspension, transport and deposition in the ocean from the continental shelf to the deep sea and from surface waters to the seafloor
- The study of the dynamics and biogeochemistry of particle formation, sinking, resuspension, transport and diagenesis in the ocean from the continental shelf to the deep sea and from surface waters to the seafloor.
- A major initiative is relating a worldwide measurements of POC in surface waters and fine particle distributions throughout the water column using transmissometers and the development of satellite algorithms to help determine global ocean processes of particle generation and recycling.
- Development of satellite algorithms sea-truthed with in-situ POC and transmissometer data to unravel global ocean processes of carbon recycling.
- Expanded opportunities in atmospheric sciences for Texas undergraduates - a summer workshop to introduce undergraduates to research and career opportunities in atmospheric sciences.
- Geosciences Educators for Texas - a program designed to prepare highly qualified secondary school geosciences teachers able to improve geosciences education in the state and nation.
- Regents Professor of Oceanography and Geophysics, 2006-present
- Interim Dean , College of Geosciences, Texas A&M University, 2002-2004
- Professor, Departments of Oceanography and Geology/Geophysics, Texas A&M University, 1994-present
- Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, College of Geosciences and Maritime Studies, Texas A&M University, 1993-2002
- Associate Professor, Oceanography and Geology, Texas A&M University, 1990-1994
- Visiting Assistant Professor, Geology, Texas A&M University, 1986-1990
- Research Associate, Oceanography, Texas A&M University, 1985-1986
- Assistant Professor, Geology and Geography, City University of New York, 1981-1985
- Research Scientist, Lamont-Doherty Geological Observatory, Columbia University, 1980-1981
- Postdoctoral Investigator, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, 1980
- Richardson, M.J. and R. Orville, 2007, "Building Diversity in Meteorological Education in Texas Universities", American Meteorological Society Meeting Abstract, San Antonio, TX, January 2007.
- Nianzhi, J., Zhang, Y., Zeng, Y., W.D. Gardner, M. J. Richardson and A.V. Mishonov and others, 2007. Early Impacts of the Three Gorges Dam on the East China Sea Ecosystem, Water Research, 41: 1287-1293.
- Gardner, W. D. A.V. Mishonov, and M. J. Richardson, 2006, Global POC Concentrations from in-situ and satellite data. Deep-Sea Research II, 53 (5-7): 718-740.
- Zawada,D.G., J. R. V. Zaneveld, E. Boss, W. D. Gardner, M. J. Richardson, and A. V. Mishonov, 2005, A comparison of hydrographically- and optically-derived mixed layer depths, Journal of Geophysical Research. 110, C11001, doi:10.1029/2004JC002417.
- Mishonov, A.V., W.D. Gardner, and M. J. Richardson, 2003. Remote sensing and surface POC concentration in the South Atlantic. Deep-Sea Research II, 50(22-26):2997-3015.
- Gardner W.D., M.J. Richardson, C.A. Carlson, D.A. Hansell, A.V.Mishonov, 2002. Determining True Particulate Organic Carbon: Bottles, Pumps and Methodologies. Deep-Sea Research II, 50(3-4): 655-674.
- Morrison, J., S. Gaurin, L.A. Codispoti, T. Takahashi, F.J. Millero, W.D. Gardner, M.J Richardson, 2001. Seasonal evolution of the hydrographic properties during the Antarctic Circumpolar Current at 170°W during 1997-1998, 2001. Deep-Sea Res. II, 48: 3943-3972.
- Gardner, W. D., J. C. Blakey, I.D. Walsh, M. J. Richardson, S. Pegau, J.R.V. Zaneveld, C. Roesler, M.C. Gregg, J. A. MacKinnon, H. M. Sosik, A. J. Williams, III, 2001. Optics, particles, stratification and storms on the New England continental shelf. Journal of Geophysical Research, 106: 9473-9497.
- Gardner, W.D., M.J. Richardson, W.O. Smith, 2000. Seasonal Patterns of Water Column Particulate Organic Carbon and Fluxes in the Ross Sea, Antarctica. Deep-Sea Res. II, 47: 3423-3449.
- Morrison, J., L.A. Codispoti, S.L. Smith, K. Wishner, C. Flagg, W.D. Gardner, S. Gaurin, S.W.A. Naqvi, V. Manghnani, L. Prosperie and. J. Gundersen, 1999. The oxygen minimum zone in the Arabian Sea during 1995. Deep Sea Res. II 46: 1903-1931.
- Gardner, W.D., Gundersen, J.S., M. J. Richardson and I.D. Walsh, 1999. The role of diel variations in mixed-layer depth on the distribution, variation, and export of carbon and chlorophyll in the Arabian Sea. Deep-Sea Res. II 46: 1833-1858.
- Moore, J.K., M.R. Abbott, J.G. Richman, W.O. Smith, T.J Cowles, K.H. Coale, W.D. Gardner and R.T. Barber, (1999) SeaWiFS satellite ocean color data at the Southern Ocean. Geophysical Research Letters, 26: 1465-1468.
- Gundersen, J.S., W.D. Gardner, M. J. Richardson and I.D. Walsh, 1998. Effects of monsoons on the seasonal and spatial distributions of POC and chlorophyll in the Arabian Sea. Deep-Sea Res. II 45: 2103-2132.
- Chung, S.P. W.D. Gardner, M.R. Landry, M.J. Richardson and I.D. Walsh, 1998. Beam attenuation by microorganisms and detrital particles in the equatorial Pacific. J. Geophysical Research. 103: 12,669-12,681.
- Walsh, I.D., W. D. Gardner, M. J. Richardson, S-P. Chung, C.A. Plattner and V. Asper, 1997. Particle dynamics as controlled by the flow field of the Eastern Equatorial Pacific. Deep-Sea Res. II 44: 2025-2047.
- Gardner, W. D., Biscaye, P. E. and Richardson, M. J., 1997. A Sediment trap Experiment in the Vema Channel to Evaluate the Effect of Horizontal Particle Fluxes on Measured Vertical Fluxes J. of Mar. Res. 55: 995-1028.
- Richardson, M.J. and W.D. Gardner, 1997. Tools of the trade , Quarterdeck 5: 10-15.
- Richardson, M. J., J. Gundersen, W. D. Gardner, and I. D. Walsh, 1996: Optically-sensed distribution of small particles and chlorophyll in the Arabian Sea. EOS, Transactions of the Amer. Geophysical Union. 76, 28.
- Chung, S. P., W. D. Gardner, M. J. Richardson, and I. D. Walsh, and M. R. Landry, 1996: Beam attenuation and microorganisms: Spatial and temporal variations in small particles along 140°W during 1992 JGOFS-EqPac transects. Deep-Sea Research II. 43, 1205-1226.
- Gundersen, J. S., W. D. Gardner, M. J. Richardson and I. D. Walsh, The effects of monsoons on the spatial distribution of small particles and carbon in the Arabian Sea. EOS, Trans. Amer. Geophus. Union, (1996).
- Chung, S. P., W.D. Gardner, M.J. Richardson, and I. D. Walsh, Beam attenuation and microorganisms: Spatial and temporal variations in small particles along 140°W during the 1992 JGOFS-EqPac transects Deep-Sea Research II 43:1205-1226
- Gardner, W.D., S.P. Chung, M.J. Richardson, and I.D. Walsh, 1995: The oceanic mixed-layer pump in the equatorial Pacific. Deep-Sea Res. II , 42: 757-775.
- Walsh, I.D., S.P. Chung, M.J. Richardson and W.D. Gardner, 1995: The diel cycle in the Integrated Particle Load in the Equatorial Pacific: A Comparison with Primary Production. Deep-Sea Res. II , 42: 465-477.
- Richardson, M.J, G.L. Weatherly and W.D Gardner, 1993: Benthic storms in the Argentine Basin. Deep-Sea Research . 40, 975-987.
- Gardner, W.D., I.D. Walsh, and M.J. Richardson, 1993: Biophysical forcing of particle production in the North Atlantic. Deep-Sea Research . 40, 171-195.
- Gardner, W.D. and M.J. Richardson, 1992: Particle export and resuspension fluxes in the western North Atlantic. In Deep-Sea Food Chains and the Global Carbon Cycle , (G.T. Rowe and V. Pariente, eds.). Kluwer Academic Publishers, 339-364.
- Gardner, W.D., M.J. Richardson, I.D. Walsh, and B.L. Berglund, 1990: In-situ optical sensing of particles as indicators of large- and small-scale oceanic processes: What satellites can't see, but transmissometers in global programs can. Oceanography . 3, 11-17.