Texas A&M University
Room 702D, Oceanography and Meteorology (O&M) Building
College Station, Texas 77843
Link to Google Scholar
Link to ResearcherID Profile
- OCNG 657 - Data Methods and Graphical Representation in Oceanography
- OCNG 604 - Ocean Observing Systems
- OCNG 658 - Oceanographic Computing Laboratory
- OCNG 685 - Directed Study Physical Oceanography of the Gulf of Mexico
- GEOS 470 - Data Methods in Geosciences
Hilal Al-Shaqsi (Ph.D.): Characterization of the Ras al Hadd Jet
Saud Al-Busaidi (Ph.D.): The northern Oman coastal current
Rebecca Gray (B.S.): Hypoxia in the Gulf of Mexico, geological history of hypoxia in the Gulf of Mexico
Christian Nygren (Ph.D.): Physical Oceanography and coastal oceanography
Laura Spencer (M.S.): Water-column inertial and sub-inertial oceanic response to Hurricane Issac in the deepwater Gulf of Mexico
Heather Zimmerle (M.S..): Characterzing the interannual variability of the Texas Coastal Current
Shelton Gay (Ph.D.): Dissertation: Seasonal variation in hydrography of small fjords in Prince Williams Sound, Alaska (2013)
Bo Li (Ph.D): Dissertation: Stratification limited vertical ventilation: Effects of water-column stability on the formation of hypoxia on the Texas-Louisiana Shelf (2013)
Mohammed Al Mazouqi (M.Gsc.) (2013)
Ruth Mullins-Perry (Ph.D): Dissertation: Coastal Hypoxia on the Texas Shelf: An Ocean Observing and Management Approach to Improving Gulf of Mexico Hypoxia Monitoring (2012)
Cathy Yang Feng (Ph.D): Dissertation Topic: Biological/physical modeling of hypoxia on the Texas-Louisiana (co-chair with George Jackson) (2012)
Saud Al-Busaidii (M. Gsc.): Master of Geosciences ( 2011)
Stuart Pearce (M.S): Thesis Topic: Shelf response to hurricane forcing (2011)
Sarah Stryker (M.S): Thesis topic: Physical Oceanography of the Gulf of Oman (2011)
Michael Lalime (M.S): Thesis topic: Deepwater observations of the northern Gulf of Mexico (2010)
Xiaoqian Zhang (Ph.D): Dissertation Topic: Air-sea interaction at critical latitudes (completed May 2009)
Kelly Cole (M.S): Thesis Topic: Low-frequency variability of currents in the Gulf of Mexico (completed August 2008)
Valeriya Kiselkova (Ph.D): Dissertation Topic: Relating instabilities to dissolved oxygen on a continental shelf (completed May 2008)
Sudeshna Lahiry (M.S): Thesis Topic: Property distributions on the Texas-Louisiana SHelf (completed August 2007)
Allyson Azzara (M.S.) Thesis Topic: Characterization of the deep scattering layer in the Gulf of Mexico as they relate to Sperm Whale diving and foraging behavior. (co-chair with Douglas Biggs) (2006)
Amanda Kahltenberg (M.S.) Thesis Topic: 38-kHz ADCP investigation of deep scattering layers in the Sperm Whale habitat in the northern Gulf of Mexico (co-chair with Douglas Biggs) (2004)
Laurie Sindlinger (M.S.) Thesis Topic: ADCP backscatter measurements in the northeastern Gulf of Mexico: Comparison of near-surface with near-bottom backscatter (co-chair with Douglas Biggs) (2003)
Rebecca Scott (M.S.) Thesis Topic: Spatial and temporal variability of plankton stocks from acoustic backscatter intensity and direct measurements in the northeastern Gulf of Mexico (co-chair with Douglas Biggs) (2001)
Ashlie Sears (M.Gsc.): Master of Geosciences (completed December 2008)
Dr. Steve DiMarco
Professor and Ocean Observing Team Leader (GERG)
Ph.D. Physics, University of Texas at Dallas, 1991
M.S. Physics, University of Texas at Dallas, 1988
B.A., Physics, University of Dallas, 1985
- Observational Oceanography and Ocean Observing Systems
- Physical Oceanography of Gulf of Mexico and southwest Indian Ocean
- Hypoxia of the northern Gulf of Mexico (website)
- Data Processing Methods
- Nonlinear surface wave interaction
- Impact of extreme wind events on shelf circulation
- Professor, Department of Oceanography, Texas A&M University 2013 - present.
- Associate Professor, Department of Oceanography, Texas A&M University 2004 - 2013.
- Associate Research Scientist, Department of Oceanography, Texas A&M University, 2000 - 2004.
- Assistant Research Scientist, Department of Oceanography, Texas A&M University, 1994 - 2000.
- Research Associate, GERG, Texas A&M University, 1993 -1994.
- Postdoctoral Research Associate (Advisor: M. O. Scully now at TAMU), Physics Department, University of New Mexico, 1991 - 1993.
- Visiting Scientist, Max-Planck-Institute for Quantum Optics, Munich, Germany, 1992.
(‡ = student led paper)
- Strauss, J., E.L. Grossman, and S.F. DiMarco, 2012, Stable Isotope in mollusk shells as indicators of benthic respiration and freshwater penetration on the Texas-Louisiana shelf, Bulletin of Marine Sciences, http://dx.doi.org/10.5343/bms.2011.1047
- Wang, Z, S.F. DiMarco, M. Stoessel, X. Zhang, M.K. Howard, K. du Vall,. 2012. Oscillation responses to Tropical Cyclone Gonu in the northern Arabian Sea from a moored observing system. In press, Deep Sea Research-I, February 2012.
- S. F. DiMarco, J. Strauss, N. May, R. L. Mullins-Perry, E. Grossman, and D. Shormann, 2012. Texas Coastal Hypoxia Linked to Brazos River Discharge as Revealed by Oyxgen. Aquatic Geochemistry. Doi:10.1007/s10498-011-9156-x
- R. D. Hetland and S. F. DiMarco, 2012. Skill assessment of a numerical model of the Texas-Louisiana Shelf. Ocean Modeling. 43-44, 64-76. Doi:10.1016/j.ocemod.2011.11.009
- D. Forrest, R. Hetland, S. F. DiMarco. 2011. Multivariate investigation of hypoxia of the northern Gulf of Mexico. Environmental Research Letters. 6 045002, doi:10.1088/1748-9326/6/4/045002
- Fennel, K., R. Hetland, Y. Feng, and S. F. DiMarco, 2011. A coupled physical-biological model of the northern Gulf of Mexico shelf: model description, validation, and analyses of phytoplankton variability. Biogeochemistry 8:1881-1899. doi:10.5194/bg-8-1881-2011.
- ‡RL Mullins, SF DiMarco, J Walpert, NL Guinasso. Interdisciplinary Ocean Observing on the Texas Coast. MTS-Journal 45(1), 98-111, 2011.
- ‡X. Li, T. S. Bianchi, Z. Yang, L. Osterman, M. Allison, S. DiMarco, G. Yang, 2011. Historical trends of hypoxia in Changjiang River estuary: Applications of chemical biomarkers and microfossilsJournal of Marine Systems 86, 57-68.
- T. S. Bianchi, S. F. DiMarco, J. H. Cowan, Jr., R. D. Hetland, P. Chapman, J. W. Day, M. A. Allison, 2010. The Science of Hypoxia in the northern Gulf of Mexico: A Review. Science of the Total Environment. 408, 1471-1484.
- S. F. DiMarco, P. Chapman, N. Walker, R. Hetland, 2010. Does local topography control hypoxia of the Texas-Louisiana Shelf? Journal of Marine Systems, 80(1-2) 25-35.
- ‡X. Zhang, S. F. DiMarco, D. C. Smith, R. D. Hetland, 2010. Sea-breeze driven ocean Poincare wave propagation and mixing near the critical latitude with applications in the Gulf of Mexico. Journal of Physical Oceanography, 40, 48-66, DOI: 10.1175/2009JPO4216.1.
- L. E. Osterman, R. Z. Poore, P. W. Swarzenski, D. Senn, and S. F. DiMarco, 2009. 20th Century development and expansion of Louisiana shelf hypoxia, Gulf of Mexico. Geomarine Letters. 29(6), 405-414.
- E. J. D’Sa and S. F. DiMarco, 2009. Seasonal variability and controls on chromophoric dissolved organic matter in large river-dominated coastal margin. Limnology and Oceanography, 54(6), 2233-2242.
- T. S. Bianchi, S. F. DiMarco, R. W. Smith, and K. M. Schreiner, 2009. A Gradient of Dissolved Organic Carbon and Lignin from Terrebonne-Timbalier Bay Estuary to the Louisiana Shelf (USA). Marine Chemistry. 117(1-4), 32-41.
- S. F. DiMarco and D. Wu, 2009. U.S. and Chinese Scientists Discuss the Ocean's Response to Climate Change. Eos Trans. American Geophysical Union. 90(14), pp. 121. doi:10.1029/2009EO140009, 2009.
- ‡X. Zhang, S. F. DiMarco, D. C. Smith, IV, M. K. Howard, A. E. Jochens, and R. D. Hetland, 2009. Near-resonant ocean response to sea breeze on a stratified continental shelf. Journal of Physical Oceanography, 39, 2137-2155. DOI: 10.1175/2009JPO4054.1.
- T. S. Bianchi, S. F. DiMarco, M. A. Allison, P. Chapman, J. C. Cowan, R. D. Hetland, J. W. Morse, G. Rowe, 2008. Controlling hypoxia on the U.S. Louisiana Shelf: Beyond the nutrient-centric view. EOS, Transactions, American Geophysical Union. 89(26), pp. 236-237.
- A. E. Jochens and S. F. DiMarco, 2008. Physical oceanographic conditions in the Gulf of Mexico during 2002-2004. Deep Sea Research Part II, 55, 2541-2554.
- R. D. Hetland and S. F. DiMarco, 2008. How does the character of oxygen demand control the structure of hypoxia on the Texas-Louisiana continental shelf? J. of Marine Systems, 70(1-2), 49-62.
- ‡A. M. Kaltenberg, D. C. Biggs, and S. F. DiMarco, 2007. Deep scattering layers of the northern Gulf of Mexico observed with a ship-board 38-kHz acoustic Doppler current Profiler (ADCP). Gulf of Mexico Science, 2, 97-108.
- D. C. O. Thornton, E. M. Fejes, S. F. DiMarco, and K. M. Clancy, 2007. Measurement of acid polysaccharides in marine and freshwater samples using alcian blue. Limnol. Oceanogr. Methods 5, 73-87.
- S. F. DiMarco, L. Campbell, and N. L. Guinasso, Jr., 2005. A new Master’s level Certificate in Ocean Observing Systems at Texas A&M University. Marine Technol. Soc. Journal 39(3), 13-15.
- S. F. DiMarco, R. O. Reid, W. D. Nowlin, Jr., 2005. A Statistical Description of the Near-surface Velocity Field from Drifters in the Gulf of Mexico. Geophysical Monograph Series, Volume 161, Circulation of the Gulf of Mexico: Observations and Models. Eds. W. Sturges and A. Lugo-Fernandez. American Geophysical Union, pp. 101 - 110.
- D. C. Biggs, A. E. Jochens, M. K. Howard, S. F. DiMarco, K. D. Mullin, R. R. Leben, F. E. Muller-Karger, and C. Hu, 2005. Eddy Forced Variations in On- and Off-Margin Summertime Circulation Along the 1000-m Isobath of the Northern Gulf of Mexico, 2000-2003, and Links with Sperm Whale Distributions Along the Middle Shelf. Geophysical Monograph Series, Volume 161, Circulation of the Gulf of Mexico: Observations and Models. Eds. W. Sturges and A. Lugo-Fernandez. American Geophysical Union, pp. 71 - 86.
- W. D. Nowlin, Jr., A. E. Jochens, S. F. DiMarco, 2005. Low-frequency Circulation Over the Texas-Louisiana Continental Shelf. Geophysical Monograph Series, Volume 161, Circulation of the Gulf of Mexico: Observations and Models. Eds. W. Sturges and A. Lugo-Fernandez. American Geophysical Union, pp. 219 – 240.
- A. Vazquez de la Cerda,, R. O. Reid, S. F. DiMarco, A. E. Jochens, 2005. Bay of Campeche Circulation: an Update. Geophysical Monograph Series, Volume 161, Circulation of the Gulf of Mexico: Observations and Models. Eds. W. Sturges and A. Lugo-Fernandez. American Geophysical Union, pp. 279-294.
- L.-Y. Oey, T. Ezer, G. Forristall, C. Cooper, S. F. DiMarco, and S. Fan, 2005. An exercise in forecasting loop current and eddy frontal positions in the Gulf of Mexico. Geophys. Res. Lett., 32, L12611, doi:10.1029/2005GL023253.
- ‡L. Sindlinger, D.C. Biggs, and S. F. DiMarco, 2005. ADCP Backscatter Measurements as Proxy for zooplankton and micronecton biomass in the northeastern Gulf of Mexico. Continental Shelf Research 25, 259-275.
- P. Chapman, S. F. DiMarco, R. E. Davis, and A. C. Coward, 2003. Flow at intermediate depths around Madagascar based on ALACE float trajectories. Deep-Sea Research II 50, 1957-1986.
- J. W. Morse, S. F. DiMarco, K. S. Sell, and A. B. Hebert, 2003. Determination of the optimum sampling intervals in sediment pore waters using the autocovariance function. Aquatic Geochemisty, 9: 41-57.
- J. W. Morse, S. F. DiMarco, A. Hebert, and K. Sell, 2003. A scaling approach to spatial variability in early diagenetic processes. Hydrobiologia 494: 25-29.
- S. F. DiMarco, P. Chapman, W. D. Nowlin, Jr., P. Hacker, K. Donohue, M. Luther, G. Johnson, and J. Toole, 2002.Volume and property distributions of the Mozambique Channel. Deep-Sea Research Part II, 49, 1481-1511.
- S. F. DiMarco, E. Meza Conde, and J. Zhang, 2001. Estimating wave elevation from pressure using second-order nonlinear wave-wave interaction theory with applications to Hurricane Andrew, J. Coastal Research 17(3), 657-671.
- S. F. DiMarco, P. Chapman, and W. D. Nowlin, Jr., 2000. Satellite observations of upwelling on the continental shelf south of Madagascar. Geophysical Research Letters. 27(24), 3965-3968.
- S. F. DiMarco, M. K. Howard, and R. O. Reid, 2000. Seasonal variation of wind-driven diurnal cycling on the Texas-Louisiana continental shelf. Geophysical Research Letters 21(7), 1017-1020.
- W. J. Wiseman, Jr., M. Inoue, R. Patchen, V. Ranisbrahmanakul, S. P. Murray, and S. DiMarco, 2000. Hydrography of the Louisiana Coastal Current: Model-Data Comparison. Interactions between Estuaries, Coastal Seas, and Shelf Seas, Ed. T. Yanagi, Terra Scientific Publishing Company (TERRAPUB), Tokyo. pp. 287-302.
- W. D. Nowlin, Jr., A. E. Jochens, M. K. Howard, S. F. DiMarco, and W. W. Schroeder. 2000. Hydrographic properties and inferred circulation over the northeastern shelves of the Gulf of Mexico during spring and mid-summer 1998. Gulf of Mexico Science, 18(1), 40-54.
- S. F. DiMarco and R. O. Reid, 1998. Characterization of the Principal Tidal Current Constituents on the Texas-Louisiana Shelf, J. Geophysical Research - Oceans, 103(2), 3093-3109.
- S. F. DiMarco, F. J. Kelly, Jun Zhang, and Norman L. Guinasso, Jr., 1995. Directional Wave Spectra on the Louisiana-Texas Shelf During Hurricane Andrew, Journal of Coastal Research, SI-21, 217-233.
- S. F. DiMarco and C. D. Cantrell, 1991. "Parametric pulse breakup due to population pulsations in three-level systems". In Nonlinear Optics and Materials, Proceedings of the SPIE Vol. 1497 (edited by C.D. Cantrell and C. M. Bowden). Pp. 178-187, 1991.
- American Geophysical Union
- The Oceanography Society