Texas A&M University O&M Building
Room 306C MS 3146
College Station, Texas 77843
Ph.D., Oceanography, Massachusetts Institute of Technology/Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, 1980
A.B., Geology/Mathematics, Smith College, 1975
Mary Jo Richardson
Regents' Professor and Professor
- Dynamics and biogeochemistry of particle formation, sinking, resuspension, transport and deposition in the ocean from the continental shelf to the deep sea and from surface waters to the seafloor
- Increasing the participation and advancement of women in academic science and engineering careers. NSF ADVANCE-IT award
- Increasing diversity in Geoscience disciplines and improving Geoscience education opportunities through enhanced undergraduate and graduate experiences. NSF S-STEM award
- Son, Y.B., W.D. Gardner, M.J. Richrdson, J. Ishizaka, J.H. Ryu, Y.H. Ahn, H.-C Kim, S.H. Kim, S.H. Lee, 2012. Tracing offshore low-salinity plumes in the northeastern Gulf of Mexico during the summer season by use of multispectral remote-sensing data. J. Oceanography. DOI: 10.1007/10872-012-0131-y
- Son, Y.B., W.D. Gardner, A.V. Mishonov, and M.J. Richardson, 2009. Model-based remote sensing algorithms for particulate organic carbon (POC) in the Northeastern Gulf of Mexico, Journal of Earth System Science, 118 (1), 1-10.
- Ross, C.B., W.D. Gardner, M.J. Richardson, V.L. Asper, 2009. Currents and sediment transport in the Mississippi Canyon and effects of Hurricane Georges. Continental Shelf Research 29: 1384–1396.
- Son, Y.B., W.D. Gardner, A.V. Mishonov, and M.J. Richardson, 2009. Multispectral Remote Sensing Algorithms for Particulate Organic Carbon (POC): the Gulf of Mexico, Remote Sensing of Environment 113:50–61. DOI: 10.1016/j.rse.2008.08.011
- Nianzhi, J., Zhang, Y., Zeng, Y., W.D. Gardner, M. J. Richardson and A.V. Mishonov and others, 2007. Early Impacts of the Three Gorges Dam on the East China Sea Ecosystem, Water Research, 41: 1287-1293.
- Richardson, M.J., M. Roman, C. Aguilar, C.R. Benitez-Nelson, T.M. Brocher, T. Drake, R.A. Fine, J. P. Ray, K. Tedesco. 2007 Committee of Visitors Advice to the NSF Ocean Sciences Division, EOS, 88: 149.
- Richardson, M.J. 2006. “Women in Oceanography, Biographic Sketch”, The Oceanography Magazine, Vol 18, No 1, p 103.
- Gardner, W. D. A.V. Mishonov, and M. J. Richardson, 2006, Global POC Concentrations from in-situ and satellite data. Deep-Sea Research II, 53 (5-7): 718-740.
- Zawada,D.G., J. R. V. Zaneveld, E. Boss, W. D. Gardner, M. J. Richardson, and A. V. Mishonov, 2005, A comparison of hydrographically- and optically-derived mixed layer depths, Journal of Geophysical Research. 110, C11001, doi:10.1029/2004JC002417.
- Regents’ Professor of Oceanography and Geophysics, 2006-present
- Santa Chiara Study Abroad Program, Castiglion Fiorentino, Italy, 2011
- Hellenic Centre for Marine Research, Athens, Greece, Faculty Development Leave - 2009
- Interim Dean, College of Geosciences, Texas A&M University, 2002-2004
- Professor, Departments of Oceanography and Geology/Geophysics, Texas A&M University, 1994-2006
- Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, College of Geosciences and Maritime Studies, Texas A&M University, 1993-2002
- Associate Professor, Oceanography and Geology, Texas A&M University, 1990-1994
- Visiting Assistant Professor, Geology, Texas A&M University, 1986-1990
- Research Associate, Oceanography, Texas A&M University, 1985-1986
- Assistant Professor, Geology and Geography, City University of New York, 1981-1985
- Research Scientist, Lamont-Doherty Geological Observatory, Columbia University, 1980-1981
- Postdoctoral Investigator, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, 1980
- Richardson, M. J., Gardner, W. D., 2013. High Impact Educational Practices: Geoscience Field-Based Learning during a Texas A&M Study Abroad Semester in Italy. GSA South Central meeting, Austin, TX April 4-5, 2013
- Zuck, N.A., E. Cochran, W.D. Gardner, M.J. Richardson, S.F. DiMarco, 2013. Particulate Matter And Hypoxia On Texas/Louisiana Shelf During Summer, 2012. GSA South Central meeting, Austin, TX April 4-5, 2013.
- Gardner, W.D., M.J. Richardson, 2012. Particle Dynamics: Biogeochemical Processes, Optical Proxies, Sources and Sinks. Brazil-Texas A&M University Science and Education Internationalization conference and workshop, Porto de Galinhas – PE/Brazil, March 26-29, 2012.
- Cochran, E. M., Gardner, W. D., Richardson, M. J., DiMarco, S. F., 2012, Optics And Composition Of Particulate Matter In Hypoxic Areas Of The Texas/Louisiana Shelf. Ocean Sciences, Salt Lake City, UT, Feb. 2012.
- Richardson, M. J., Gardner, W. D., 2012. Field-Based Laboratories In Oceanography And Geology During A Study Abroad Semester In Italy, Ocean Sciences, Salt Lake City, UT, Feb. 2012.
- Jacobsen, M., Kaunas, C. Miner, K. Richardson, M.J., Stelly,L., Yennello., S., 2012, From Staff Training to Faculty-Staff Interaction: Identifying Issues and Finding Solutions, NSF Joint Annual Meeting for awardees funded for ADVANCE and other initiatives in the Directorate for Education and Human Resources, June 2012.
- Gardner, W. D, Richardson, M. J., Karageorgis, A. P., Krasakopoulou, E., Son, Y. B., Mishonov, A. V. (2010), Measuring Particulate Organic Carbon (POC) in the Eastern Mediterranean From Satellites, Eos Trans. AGU, 91(26), Ocean Sci. Meet. Suppl., Abstract B0151-10
- Richardson, M.J. and W.D. Gardner, 2010. Educating a Diverse Generation of Geoscientists, Eos Trans. AGU, 91(26), Ocean Sci. Meet. Suppl., Abstract ED43A-02